Friday, May 25, 2007

Honolulu Triathlon


Last Sunday, the Honolulu Triathlon was hosted in my backyard. I competed last year and had a lot of fun. I was hoping to do better than my 2 hr 15 min time from 2006. I signed up on Active.com, it was really easy.
This year I swam 30 seconds faster despite my timing chip coming off halfway through the swim! I had to stop, turn around, grab my chip (that was slowly sinking) and hold it in my hand for the second half of the swim. I feel that I could have been another half minute faster had this not happened.

I knocked 4 minutes off my bike time from last year. This could be because I was using some rental Zipp race wheels. Or maybe my new hero/nemesis Aubrey was pushing me on the bike the whole way. We swam together, then played cat and mouse on the bike, but I knew that he would pull away on the run.
My run this year was 2 minutes faster than last year. I ran a 40 minute 10K which puts my pace at just under 6 mins and 30 secs per mile. I cannot complain about that! Rumor has it that the run was a little longer than 10K so my pace would actually be faster.
I am very happy with my time. This is the fastest Olympic distance triathlon I have ever done.
I think that this is for a few reasons. First and foremost, I have been training more than last year. This year, I am coaching the Team Jet half ironman training group. It has really helped my overall fitness, but I am really nailing my nutrition on all of my races. Bill Burke put on a great race. I would like to thank IT&B for letting me use the Zipp demo wheels. Rudy Project kept me safe and looking good in my Rydon sunglasses and Syton helmet.
Special mahalo to my sponsors go! airlines, Star Bulletin, and look how good our team looked in our uniforms that Tai Graphx helped us design.

So in the end, I did a 2:08! Much better than last year. My blisters are finally healing. If you have any chafing, blisters, or irritated skin, I highly recommend Aquaphor healing ointment.

Look out for me in the Ford Iroman 70.3 Hawai'i race coming up in a week!

No comments: