Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Where is Wakeeney?

I was happy with my race at the Capital of Texas Triathlon. I swam, biked, and ran as well as I could have for my first olympic distance race in two years. Given the slightly hilly course and humidity that is notorious in Texas, my 2:24 makes me happy. I am not as happy with the pictures that they shot. They took none of me in my aero bars. All of the photographers were set up at the corners and I think that the lighting sucks on most of them. That being said, my gear looks pretty cool. Especially the bike and helmet!



Tuesday May 26 - Leaving Texas we had mixed feelings. We had been there for a couple of weeks which is quite a long time for us to spend in one state. I had a few friends in Austin. It is nice to know people in an unfamiliar place. It was three days of driving eight hours a day to get from Tempe to Dallas. It is the same from Austin to Boulder. Day one is in the bag. We had no problems driving today which is always good. If our tires survive and our van can go uphill for 800 more miles, we will be in the mountains soon.
Wednesday May 27 - We are stuck in Dorrance, Kansas. We are on the side of the road with a blown out tire. Unfortunately, we looked up information about where we are. Dorrance is a city in Russell County, Kansas. As of the 2000 census there were 205 people living here in 94 households. The racial makeup of the city is 99.5% white. The median household income is $31,250. $31,250 is more than I will make this year. The very nice state trooper that pulled over to direct traffic for us was very vocal about his frustration with our commander in chief. He wished that our country would spend more money on military endeavors like China, North Korea, and the Middle East. I didn’t introduce him to Mojdeh. I did give him a pair of socks that say Team USA. He gave me a highway patrol patch.
Update: We made it to Wakeeney, KS. Tomorrow, we buy another tire and drive to Boulder!

No comments: