Sunday, June 29, 2008

All kinds of things

What a busy week. I was tubing Boulder Creek with some friends when a lady from out of town asked if we would make sure her daughter was ok in the creek. Her daughter (about 14) came with us up and down the creek. While she was away, her mother called the police and reported her missing. Police, firemen, paramedics, dive crews, all showed up to various parts of the creek to rescue the girl. Then she came floating down, all smiles. Everyone went home.
Then I went to a fundraiser for Ballet Nouveau Colorado. Also got more tattoos. It has been a busy week.


This was posted on my last blog entry:
"raisin bran might have more sugar but it it healthier for you and has many more vitamins than cocoa crispies."

I no longer have the Raisin Bran. Or the Cocoa Crunchies. But I went for a "natural" cereal this time vs Honey Nut Toasted Oats (too cheap for Cheerios). The "natural"cereal has no "artificial, colors, flavors, hydrogenated oil, or high fructose corn syrup".

When comparing the nutritional value on these new cereals, I was surprised to find the sugary cheap Toasted Oats had more Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Iron, Niacin, Calcium, B6, B12, Zinc, Riboflavin, and Thiamin. There was more fat, but less sugar in the "natural" cereal.

I am afraid that I am going to have to buy the cheapest, most unhealthy cereal I can find. (When local and/or organic fruits can't be found). I checked out the nonfat organic yogurt that typically mix with my fruit and granola. 29 grams of sugar per serving, but lots of calcium.

This begins a new question for me: Is it worth is, financially, to try and eat healthy? Think of the bikes, running shoes, coaching, I could afford if I ate thinking with my wallet...

Oh yeah and then today I went flying in my friend's helicopter. Here are a few reasons why I love Boulder. Flowers and Smart cars.

2 comments:

rr said...

Cool new tats, and a helicopter too? Boulder rocks.

Yes, it's worth it financially to eat better. Cancer at age 60 is totally expensive ;) Plus you'll feel better.

Rach

Paul said...

It's totally worth it. Cereal is pretty much a bad choice, the expensive stuff, the cheap stuff, it's all super processed (I eat a box a day anyway). Go for the veggie isle. Any box that claims to contain "healthy food" is a lie. The healthy food is doesn't have to be marketed with fancy packages.