Sunday, August 9, 2009

Santa Cruz Race Report.

Another triathlete reviews "In Defense of Food" here. I raced the Santa Cruz Sprint Triathlon today. Full results here. The work side of it was more mellow that the other races that we have been to. It was a fun race. I was confused at a certain point, avoided a crash (with no one else involved), and managed to rip the cleat of the bottom of my shoe. I came in 4th in my age group only 2 minutes behind the winner of my age group. The swim was freezing 59F. First my hands went numb, then my feet, then my lips and face. All in 10 minutes. The day warmed up and I felt good on the bike until my near mishap. I limped it in to transition, but didn't get passed. The run was good as only one person passed me. I loved my new shoes from Avia. I wore the Avi-Bolt II. Super comfy, no socks, no blisters, all good things to say.

Avi-Bolt II
I always like getting on the podium and I am bummed that I missed it. It is more incentive to train. I really should start that whole training thing soon. We drove up to Redding this afternoon. There are 14 fires here. Firefighters are taking most of the rooms in all of the hotels here. We have no plans to stay here longer than we need to!
Hopefully I will have pictures from the race soon. Until then, eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

2 comments:

rr said...

You rocked the transitions, dude. I don't know why, but I'm always proud when I made it out under 30s for t2 :) Congrats!! Swimming in that coldness is hard for us hawaii people. Don't stay in redding too long, it's not good for your lungs.. hit shasta instead!

Rory said...

I killed the transitions. If the race were transitions only, I would have won!