Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sugar Loaf thoughts

Back in Rio de Janeiro. I went to the botanical gardens because on the tourist map there is a drawing of a monkey. I thought that it would be great to see a monkey. We took a cab there to save ourselves the two hour walk in the heat. It was 35 C (95 F). I walked around, took a few pictures and hurt my neck and eyes from squinting into the trees for hours trying to see a monkey.Today we climbed up Sugar Loaf. We could have paid about $10 each to take the cable car, but we thought that it would be much more exciting to find a dangerous way up the back side.
Today, we went rock climbing. In Brazil “r” is pronounced like “h”. So my name sounded like hoe-wee, I tied the hope to myself, climbed a mountain and looked over Hio. It was a lot of fun.
Some guy quit his job, traveled around the world, and recorded it all on video. No, it wasn’t me, but his movie is called A Map for Saturday. You might have seen part of it on MTV recently. It made me realize that I could have done that. Somebody come up with some good ideas for movies and lets make one. This guy had 5 pounds of clothes and 30 pounds of camera gear. I have the opposite. It looks like a cool movie.
Sitting in a hostel, well living in hostels, as I have, been you get used to the repetitive questions. These are always followed by “What about you?” You need to remain polite to the other 11 people that are living in the same room with you. They can steal your stuff or make you dinner based on how nice you are to them. Where are you from? How long have you been traveling? How much longer are you traveling?
This is an interesting one. People always want to be more of a traveller than the next person. It is like a backpackers “one upsmanship”. If your traveling time is longer than the other person, you reply, “JUST months.” When they tell you about their trip, you feign interest and say “Wow” a lot.
Stay in any good hostels? How many people live in

If you are a backpacker be prepared to answer political, geographical, technical, racial, sport, cultural, and historical questions about your country or region. In South America, then are a lot of Israeli backpackers. I was amazed. I should have studied Hebrew, not Spanish in school. I thought that this website was amazing. It is hilarious. Being white in a typically dark region of the world, I thought that it help for people to understand me. It is called Stuff White People Like. Back home, in Hawai’i, a Japanese man is sailing a wave powered boat from Honolulu to Japan this month. It only goes 5 knots, but it uses only wave power.

No comments: