Friday, July 3, 2009

My first time.

Beautiful Breckenridge.
We left Boulder yesterday after going for a bike ride with David of BimBamBoo. We slept in the Wal Mart parking lot in Frisco with no problems. It was our first time just pulling up to a place and going to sleep. This morning I got to get up and ride to Vail Pass. It was raining, but I didn't want to let anything stop me. The rain was intermittent and after being wet and cold for an hour, I made it to Copper Mountain. The weather looked worse ahead so I decided to turn around early.
Here is the path up to Vail Pass.
It was stunning. I followed a stream (with I-70 on the other side) uphill for a long time. I was in awe of the views every minute. There are great paved paths all around Frisco to all of the small towns nearby.
Copper Mountain from a bike.
We left Frisco and headed for Breckenridge. Walking around cute mountain town #2 (Breck) was fun. Busy, but fun. There are lots of tourists here in the mountains. We expect a lot more over the next couple of days. We were looking for a place to have lunch when we saw a fly fishing shop (Breckenridge Outfitters) giving away free Bratwurst. That enticed us in. We bought some flies, got some advice, and were on our way. The Blue River goes right through town here in Breck. We drove 5 minutes out of town and walked past a dozen other people fishing. We saw lots of fish and I thought that I was going to have to name this blog "If another fish spits out my flies...". Happily I don't. I caught my first fish today. Well I have caught lots of fish while fly fishing, but always with a guide. So this is my first fish without a guide. Mojdeh nailed one before we left Taupo. I hooked one, but never landed any. Today was my day. We even had a camera.
The walk along the river.
Hanapa'a!

Brook Trout.
 
The release.

In the rain.
The rain absolutely POURS when it rains here. We tried to stick it out, but the weather got the best of us. We will be going out later to try and hook a few more this evening. Thanks to Fishy Steve for teaching me so much during our trip to New Zealand. For those that care, we saw the fish becoming airborne trying to eat their food. They might have been going for some emergers, but the technique to mimic the emergers sounded difficult. I caught this Brook Trout using a #20 cannon bunny dun.

No comments: